How to Get Settled - Government, Citizenship, Residency, & Language Learning

Apply for a Permanent Resident Card

When you are travelling, you need a permanent resident (PR) card to prove you’re a PR when you return to Canada

You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you:

  • are a permanent resident,
  • do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
  • are outside of Canada, and
  • will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus

Learn French and English

Ontario English and French as a Second Language Classes

Government of Canada Language Classes

College and University Certified Language Tests

Apply for Citizenship

To become a Canadian citizen, most applicants must:

  • be a permanent resident
  • have lived in Canada for at least 3 out of the last 5 years
  • have filed their taxes
  • pass a citizenship test
  • prove their language skills in English or French

Find out more about...

Canada's Political System

There are three levels of government in Canada – federal, provincial and municipal – each with different responsibilities.